Full-time | Memphis, TN
The volunteer coordinator is responsible for the coordination of the volunteer program including recruitment and training, managing assignments and cultivation. The volunteer coordinator works with a network of volunteers across the designated territory to provide quality wish experiences for children and their families, as well as, place volunteers at events to assist staff with event production.
- Coordinate program to recruit, place, train, motivate, recognize, and retain volunteers.
- Actively recruits wish-granting, event and pre-flight captain volunteers by networking with the local community and businesses and attending volunteer fairs or other special events where potential volunteers may be recruited.
- Utilize strong public speaking skills for volunteer recruitment efforts and trainings.
- Coordinates all logistical aspects of training and supervises volunteers for wishes, special projects and events, as needed by the chapter.
- Plans wish-granting training for select volunteer groups (ex: Regional Boards and Associate Board).
- Manages the intern recruitment process.
- Ensures that sufficient training and event opportunities are available for all volunteers, taking into consideration such things as timing and location.
- Provides recognition of volunteers on an ongoing basis, including volunteer awards and appreciation events.
- Recruits and manages drop-off site captains and phone bank volunteers for radiothons; secures wish families for radio interviews.
- Tracks all volunteer years of service, office hours, wishes, meet & greet and event hours.
- Be aware of national and regional trends in volunteer management.
- Network with other professionals and organizations in the community to better understand opportunities and challenges in our own area.
- Responds to calls from persons requesting information about volunteer opportunities and coordinates volunteer informational meetings.
- Creates quarterly volunteer newsletter and cultivation postcards. Mails out birthday cards and other special occasion cards as the need arises.
- Ensures that volunteers are assigned for all administrative, development and program services needs in a systematic, efficient, and timely manner.
- Maintains volunteer files, ensures accuracy of volunteer database, and produces routine volunteer reports.
- Ensures that information within the organization is communicated to volunteers in a timely and clear manner.
- Attends internal fundraising events and serves as point person for volunteers.
- Engages and coordinates wish ambassador families post-wish.
- Assesses potential risks and liabilities of volunteer activities and volunteer behaviors and brings them to the attention of the Vice President of Program Services.
- Ensures that volunteers are complying with policies and guidelines set forth by the national office or by the chapter.
- Conducts background checks every three years and requests conflict of interest forms on an annual basis.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university
- Minimum three years project management, special events or volunteer management experience preferred
- Demonstrates the ability to focus on details
- Manages and prioritizes multiple tasks effectively
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to motivate and support a diverse constituency
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission of Make-A-Wish
- Has the ability and willingness to travel regionally as required in this position
- Thorough understanding of the region we serve
- Establishes & maintains filing systems
- Problem solving skills
- Professional appearance
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Proficient in social media platforms
- Proficient in Raiser’s Edge by Blackbaud and data management preferred.
This position is located in Memphis, TN. To apply, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.